Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
C-K Phoenix versus the delayed Dutch
07-20-2013, 06:54 PM
C-K Phoenix versus the delayed Dutch
In Zuka and The Dangerfield Attack, I discuss the Delayed Dutch (1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 e6, keeping ...f5 open), but I don't discuss how a C-K player might respond to this.

For C-Z players I suggest 3.a3!?, keeping Bf4 available in case Black goes in for the delayed Stonewall. Otherwise, I mention that White can transpose to the a3 variation of the C-Z.

A reader sent a note asking about this line, and I gathered he was a C-K player. It appears that C-K players may have an even nicer time of this because 3.a3 provides the possibility of playing the Phoenix Attack [C-K version!] 1 move up after, say, 3...Nf6 4.Bd3 c5 5.c4 Nc6 6.dxc5 Bxc5 7.b4, and White has not had to move his c-pawn twice.

Black can do a bit better by delaying ...Nc6 with 5...a6!? As C-K Phoenix players know, the Knight on c6 often gives White a very powerful b5 later on.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2013, 06:55 PM
RE: C-K Phoenix versus the delayed Dutch
One note on the above, it is important that White not play dxc5 too quickly. In particular, White does not want Black to be able to play ...a5 in one move (unless Black has already committed his Knight to c6).
07-23-2013, 02:49 AM
Hmmm.... I'm a bit confused.

In the sample line you give I'm unclear how 4.Bd3 is achieved. As far as I can see the e-pawn still hasn't been moved.
07-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Oops, quite right:

I intended 3...Nf6 4.e3 c5 5.c4 Nc6 6.dxc5

White is not in a rush to get Bd3 out.
07-24-2013, 04:29 AM
Ah right. Smile

I have to admit that up until now I've avoided 3.a3 and gone in for the typical London System response 3.Bf4. It's not ideal, but I feel it cuts down blacks choices.

Sometimes you meet Stonewall-Dutch players who will delay pushing f5 for as long as they can. They make all the intermediate moves while waiting for you to run out of waiting moves.

...d5, ...e6, ...Bd6, ...c6, ...Nbd7, etc. And the second you play e3 you can bet ...f5 is going to follow.
07-24-2013, 06:13 AM
Seems to me that if Black develops his King's Bishop before White has played e3, White should be able to get an advantageous position simply by transposing to a QG with Black's Bishop misplaced. If Black plays ...Bd6, then White should be happy to play into the orthodox with Bg5. If Black plays ...Be7 then either Bf4 or switching to a Meran should be good.

However, if Black sticks with ...c6 and ...Nbd7, then things are not so clear... I think I'll take a look at that line... maybe it can be completely busted by something like e3 f5; Ne5!? and Black is THREE moves away from castling, yet White has f4, g4, and Qh5 as possibilities.... Could be fun!