Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Latest Positions and Adivce in Mr. Rudel's Work
07-04-2013, 03:33 AM
Latest Positions and Adivce in Mr. Rudel's Work
I am new to the forum and to the Colle. I would like to make sure I am reading the most current and best advice from Mr. Rudel's thought. Can someone please confirm the following:

1. The most current work on C-K is: Koltanowski-Phoenix Attack-The Future of the c3-Colle. This is the only work Mr. Rudel has done on the C-K.

2. The most current work on C-Z is: Zuke 'Em - The Colle-Zukertort Revolutionized: A chess opening for everyone. Phoenix Attack Edition. This replaces the earlier work on C-Z, also called Zuke 'Em, which is now outdated.

3. The Zuka book is his response for Black playing ... g6

4. Mr. Rudel's most current recommendation for ... Bf5 is still to transition into the Slav with c4, but Bd3 and then ... Bxd3 can still be played, although this position will have little to do with the Colle at that point.

5. I am unsure where The Moment of Zuke and Bxh7 books fit into the overall picture.

6. The latest book on the Dutch contains new material not found in any previous work by Mr. Rudel.

I would appreciate confirmation of these. It looks like Mr. Rudel has (naturally) developed his thought over the years and it is a bit hard to sort out in his remarks found on various forums and in books over the years as to which would still represent his best advice today.

Thank you, Oliver
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2013, 08:53 AM
RE: Latest Positions and Adivce in Mr. Rudel's Work
(07-04-2013 03:33 AM)OliverMcKenny Wrote:  1. The most current work on C-K is: Koltanowski-Phoenix Attack-The Future of the c3-Colle. This is the only work Mr. Rudel has done on the C-K.

Yes. Also note that this book is not a complete analysis of the Colle-Koltanowski opening in general. It is just a book about one particular line. The old main line in the C-K is more or less busted. The Koltanowski-Phoenix Attack is David Rudel's answer to this problem.
If you intend to play this line then you will still require another Colle-Koltanowski text to round out your repertoire. Richard Palliser's, Starting out the Colle, would be a good choice.

(07-04-2013 03:33 AM)OliverMcKenny Wrote:  2. The most current work on C-Z is: Zuke 'Em - The Colle-Zukertort Revolutionized: A chess opening for everyone. Phoenix Attack Edition. This replaces the earlier work on C-Z, also called Zuke 'Em, which is now outdated.

Yes. The Phoenix Attack Edition is an expanded version of the original Zuke 'Em.

(07-04-2013 03:33 AM)OliverMcKenny Wrote:  3. The Zuka book is his response for Black playing ... g6

Yes. Kings Indian, Grunfeld, Benoni, etc., are all covered here. But also included in this book is David's answer to the Dutch. The Dutch book (The Dangerfield Attack) is also sold as a separate stand-alone text. There's no real need to bother with that if you buy Zuka.

(07-04-2013 03:33 AM)OliverMcKenny Wrote:  4. Mr. Rudel's most current recommendation for ... Bf5 is still to transition into the Slav with c4, but Bd3 and then ... Bxd3 can still be played, although this position will have little to do with the Colle at that point.

The recommendation is to transpose to the Slav with c4. (Covered in Zuke' Em.)
Bd3 is playable but it's not David's recommendation.

(07-04-2013 03:33 AM)OliverMcKenny Wrote:  5. I am unsure where The Moment of Zuke and Bxh7 books fit into the overall picture.

The Moment of Zuke is more of a teaching text that covers typical ideas, positions, and situations that frequently occur in both variations of the Colle. It's not written in the typical straight analysis format that is common in chess books. (Although it does feature a fair bit of analysis.) It's more an ideas, plans, and themes manual.

Bxh7 is merely one module in the, The Moment of Zuke, book that has been printed as a stand-alone text. There's no need to bother with it if you have The Moment of Zuke already.

(07-04-2013 03:33 AM)OliverMcKenny Wrote:  6. The latest book on the Dutch contains new material not found in any previous work by Mr. Rudel.

No. David's answer to the Dutch is also included in Zuka. (See number 3 above.) It was printed as a separate volume for people who were only interested in his answer to the Dutch.
07-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Thank you so much. Look's like I should purchase the latest C-Z book with Phoenix and the Zuka book.
11-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Hi,

I am new to the forum.
I am looking for Rudell's analysis in the mainline Zukertort where he recommends 8.dc !! - please help
12-11-2014, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 05:35 PM by rj1000101.)
(11-24-2014 12:02 PM)colink Wrote:  Hi,

I am new to the forum.
I am looking for Rudell's analysis in the mainline Zukertort where he recommends 8.dc !! - please help

I noticed that no one answered your post.

8.dxc5 is Rudel's new line that he calls the Phoenix Attack. It appears in two of his books.

The C-K version is treated in The Moment of Zuke, pp 249-253.

The C-Z version is covered in Zukem, pp 82-94.

Good luck!
02-13-2017, 11:48 AM
I own the Zuke 'Em book but have been unable to find the updated book. Can anyone direct me to a purchase site?