Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
4.Nbd2 move order.
03-24-2013, 01:11 AM
4.Nbd2 move order.
In both, The Moment of Zuke, and the, Koltanowski Phoenix Attack, book the move 4.Nbd2 is given preference over the traditional 4.Bd3 because of the problems posed by the "b6 Monster" to the Colle-Koltanowski player. I have a couple of questions regarding this move.

1) What should the C-K player do if Black forces the "b6 Monster" position on White via a Queen's Indian move order?

Example: 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 e6 3.e3 b6 4.Bd3 d5!

I'm guessing that the "Official response" will be to use the Early Q-side fianchetto line given in Zuke 'Em. But does the C-K player still have to use the 4.Nbd2 move order if they have that line as a backup? I get the feeling that I'm missing a subtlty in the 4.Nbd2 move. If so a pointer back the appropriate section in TMoZ will help.

2) How should White respond if Black thinks he can take advantage of the 4.Nbd2 move by boxing in the king-bishop.

Example: 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.e3 e6 4.Nbd2 c5 5.c3 c4?!

5...c4?! is an annoying move that I have encountered far more often since adopting 4.Nbd2. In the old Bd3 line you just dropped the bishop back to the 'pocket' on c2.
To take advantage of 5...c4?! I normally follow up with 6.b3 b5 7.a4
Is that the best continuation?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2013, 06:52 AM
RE: 4.Nbd2 move order.
I'll look into this later... feel free to prod me if I forget, which I might Smile
03-24-2013, 09:02 AM
(03-24-2013 06:52 AM)Rudel Wrote:  I'll look into this later... feel free to prod me if I forget, which I might Smile

I'll take you up on that. But there's no rush. Whenever you get the time. Smile

It was just that when I first read the "b6 monster" chapter in TMoZ I wondered how 4.Nbd2 would mesh with lines against the QID that normally have a 4.Bd3 move order. QID players and the flexibility they have in their system are a nightmare sometimes.

For the record I don't play lines with c4. Whenever possible always try to go for a standard Colle setup against the QID. Whether that allows me to tinker with move orders against the QID I don't know.
04-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Hi Lee,
As promised, I'm getting back to this. Sorry for taking so long, but I was busy finished up a major project for work.

You bring up some very good points regarding this move. I would say the following:
A. You _can_ use the QID line as a backup, avoiding the need for an early 4.Nbd2, planning on using the 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 d5 3.e3 e6 4.Bd3 b6 5.Nbd2 Bb7 6.Qe2!? [see "Various Oddities" section of Zuke 'Em] line.

B. It is still probably a stronger choice to play 4.Nbd2, keeping Bb5 as a possibility and hoping to sometimes not even need c3. Thus, in answer to 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 e6 3.e3 b6, you would play 4.Nbd2 (not what I have listed in Zuke 'Em), and after 4...Bb7, you will transpose to line 3.2 of chapter 8 with 5.Bd3. Thus, you would only be using one line against both setups.
(Note that one thing I like about this line is that 4...c5 can be met with 5.e4!)

I guess it really comes down to your preference between that 6.Qe2 line and the lines in Module 2 of TMoZ.

When I wrote TMoZ, I had not found the 6.Qe2 line, so there was more value in having a special antidote to the early fianchetto idea.

With respect to your second question, you should rejoice when someone plays ...c4 early against your Nbd2-Colle. Your continuation is correct [b3 b5; a4] and should give you a great game.

Feel free to post some the games you get after this Q-side enterprise. After 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 d5 3.e3 e6 4.Nbd2 c5 5.c3 c4?! 6.b3 b5 7.a4 b4 8.Bb2, White is going to have a huge development advantage when the dust settles!